Poll

Do You Support the Goals of Intelligent Design

Yes - Teach that an unknown being of infinite power and universal knowledge has guided human evolution from the beginning. -=Some claim that this is a guise to sneak Christianity into the classroom, and violates seperation of Church and State=-
6 (27.3%)
No - Teach that evolution, as a result of natural forces, resulted in life as it is today. -=Some claim that life is to complicated to have arisen from random and chaotic forces; thus life must have have been helped along to reach its current state.=-
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?  (Read 39069 times)

Elizabeth Rose

Should The Bible Be Taught in Science Class?
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15:54 am »
Did you know Lucy was named after the song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"?
[snapback]285102[/snapback]
I know! I learned that in my history class with the Nutty McNut teacher.

So are you saying that SOME of the bible should be taught in science class? Well...what about science being taught in Religious Education class? They don't mix THAT well.
[snapback]284992[/snapback]
Is religious class something in the UK? I have NEVER in my life seen one in California.
[snapback]285217[/snapback]
Sarah already answered that question because I already asked it...

carterhawk

« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2006, 06:28:57 pm »
@loco: this is a fun bit of thought. while it is rather silly, the idea that to prove god would destroy faith is interesting indeed.

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Lil Loco

« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2006, 06:47:37 pm »
lol...

i love when people get caught up this proof versus faith thing...i'll explain sumthin.  

it isnt hard to believe that God created all that exists...satan himself believes in God... and knows that he created the universe.  wut christians hold onto is the faith in God's words...believing God Himself.  not that He exists...the fact that He exists iz about the most apparent thing i know in life...i need no faith for that.  the faith of christianity iz based around the words of God through the bible.  thats wut we put our faith in.

carterhawk

« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »
So your asking for people who dont share your beliefs to put their faith in your god and his actions? no, not even that, your asking them to accept your way of life as fact?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 06:52:25 pm by carterhawk »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2006, 06:54:13 pm »
So your asking for people who dont share your beliefs to put their faith in your god and his actions? no, not even that, your asking them to accept your way of life as fact?
[snapback]285580[/snapback]
No, he is saying to teach it, just as evoloution is taught. As a plausible theory.

I am reffering to ID, not the bible itself.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 06:57:51 pm by IceFox »

Lil Loco

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2006, 06:55:52 pm »
if you were paying half-way attention to wut ive said like 5 times in here...i DONT want the bible itself in the classroom, just the alternative concept of ID along with evolution.  both can be offered and the student can believe wut he wants to believe.

and i could just as easily turn that question around on you...
you're asking me to believe in something that conadricts my own faith just cuz you feel that your theory makes more sense to you?

carterhawk

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2006, 07:24:22 pm »
In 1962, the Supreme Court banned from public schools all public prayers and religious readings done for religious purposes. The Supreme Court continued to allow private prayer. As such, any teacher, faculty, or student can pray in school, in accordance with their own religion. However, they may not lead such prayers in class, or in other "official" school settings such as assemblies or programs.

The Designer of Intelligent Design is a God. God is a religious institution and is universal to the vast majority of religions. Regardless of which God it is, to allow the teachings of ID into the classroom is to bring religous readings into the classroom.

ps. i didnt say *bible*, i said beliefs, and you have made it clear you believe your God created the world as it is today. You are requiring that a tenant of your religion and many other religions be brought into the science classrooms.

Lil Loco

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2006, 07:29:07 pm »
the belief in a higher being doesnt make anything religious...religion itself is based on worship, ethnic, and other things like that.  the acknowledgment of a higher being doesnt constitute as religion, sorry.

you could believe in God and hate Him...but since you believe He exists, you must still be religious, right?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:31:49 pm by Lil Loco »

carterhawk

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2006, 07:40:27 pm »
o.O
O.o

In all my life i have never heard someone claim that God is not a religious figure. Religions exist *because* of gods. Gods do not exist because of religions (from a relgious perpsective). Your God is the creator of all that exists and is a guiding force in your life. If The Designer is not your God, but is instead say.....the Muslim god Allah, or the Greek god Zeus, should ID still be taught? We should start with identifying who The Designer is. If the Designer is not your God then ID goes against your faith. ID would contradict Christian teachings if it was Allah who guided all of creation, wouldnt it?

Lil Loco

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2006, 07:42:44 pm »
but thats not wut ID teaches, is it?

ID just states that the universe was the result of creation by a higher being.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:46:39 pm by Lil Loco »

carterhawk

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2006, 07:44:17 pm »
but thats not wut ID teaches, is it?

ID just states that the universe was the result of creation by a higher being.
[snapback]285596[/snapback]

Who?

Lil Loco

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:25 pm »
a higher being...maybe God, maybe Allah, maybe whoever.  while i believe a certain way, a direct label for ID aint necessary to teach the concept itself.

carterhawk

« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2006, 07:56:35 pm »
So its a leap of faith to believe in ID? I mean we dont know who the Designer is, what it looks like, how it did what it did, why it did what it did, or if it is still doing whatever it did to get the whole entire universe to this point. Sounds like religion to me, only without any of the details.

btw, isnt it blasphemous to suggest that another God created the world?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:57:07 pm by carterhawk »

Lil Loco

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2006, 08:12:02 pm »
its not a leap of faith.  i'm not suggesting another God created the universe...but i think the concept should be taught, and the generalization of ID is the only way it would be allowed.

carterhawk

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2006, 08:23:26 pm »
its not a leap of faith.  i'm not suggesting another God created the universe...but i think the concept should be taught, and the generalization of ID is the only way it would be allowed.
[snapback]285608[/snapback]

Well thats not unreasonable. I have exactly how it should go

Teacher: Before we begin, everyone should be aware that some people outside the scientific community believe that the universe was designed by an unknown being of great power. Now on to todays lesson.....

that sums it up pretty good, right?