Author Topic: Jokes I don't get  (Read 6426 times)

ernest310

Jokes I don't get
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »
This board could use more topics, so here goes:

There are several jokes made that I don't get:

--The first one is more an issue of not hearing the words properly: in "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," Squidward is having Spongebob and Patrick carry him around on his bed/throne/thing.  Anyway, he keeps saying things like "too hot" or "too-" whatever.  Then, they cross into what looks like a map, and Squid says something I can't understand, like "too loose le trek" or something.  I'm guessing this is a play on words for the French city Toulouse, which I think would be pronounced "too loose."  But that still doesn't explain what he says after (the le trek [?] part.)

--In the episode "As Seen on TV," when Spongebob is just starting to have his delusions of grandeur, a fish opens the door for him, and Spongebob responds, "Sir, I'm flattered." The fish responds, "I don't smell anything."  I'm pretty sure that was a joke, and I'm equally as sure that I'm missing it!  I'm not sure why that's funny.

--Finally, in "Dunces and Dragons," when Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidly are brought to King Krabs and Princess Pearl: the guard says something (I can't remember the exact words) like "Here are the prisoners."  At any rate, the guard emphasizes that last "s," as if he was saying "Here are the prisonerssssssssssss" while walking away.  The next scene shows Krabs and Pearl looking at each other for a moment, obviously in response to the guard's hissing, but then the scene continues and why it's supposed to be funny is not explained.

There are more I can't think of right now. Any help on these? Thanks!

BiggerSquarierSpongier

Jokes I don't get
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 05:12:12 pm »
I think the first one is referring to an artist or something, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I don't know about the second one, and I don't think the third one is really a reference to anything.

Band8PGeek

Jokes I don't get
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:39:49 am »
Yes, the first one does refer to an artist. Toulouse Lautrec, who I think painted the picture Moulin Rouge.

ernest310

Jokes I don't get
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 03:13:21 pm »
Ah, those make sense.

Anyone know the "As Seen on TV" reference?

Patrik

Jokes I don't get
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:23:18 pm »
This board could use more topics, so here goes:

There are several jokes made that I don't get:

--The first one is more an issue of not hearing the words properly: in "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," Squidward is having Spongebob and Patrick carry him around on his bed/throne/thing.  Anyway, he keeps saying things like "too hot" or "too-" whatever.  Then, they cross into what looks like a map, and Squid says something I can't understand, like "too loose le trek" or something.  I'm guessing this is a play on words for the French city Toulouse, which I think would be pronounced "too loose."  But that still doesn't explain what he says after (the le trek [?] part.)

--In the episode "As Seen on TV," when Spongebob is just starting to have his delusions of grandeur, a fish opens the door for him, and Spongebob responds, "Sir, I'm flattered." The fish responds, "I don't smell anything."  I'm pretty sure that was a joke, and I'm equally as sure that I'm missing it!  I'm not sure why that's funny.

--Finally, in "Dunces and Dragons," when Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidly are brought to King Krabs and Princess Pearl: the guard says something (I can't remember the exact words) like "Here are the prisoners."  At any rate, the guard emphasizes that last "s," as if he was saying "Here are the prisonerssssssssssss" while walking away.  The next scene shows Krabs and Pearl looking at each other for a moment, obviously in response to the guard's hissing, but then the scene continues and why it's supposed to be funny is not explained.

There are more I can't think of right now. Any help on these? Thanks!
[snapback]289848[/snapback]

Actually he said, "Sure thing, your highnessssssssss".

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
Jokes I don't get
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:21 pm »
Maybe for the second one he thought Spongebob said, "Sir, I farted."
All Time

Weekly

ernest310

Jokes I don't get
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:55:51 am »
I was thinking something similar: "flattered" could sounds like "farted" or even "flatullence" (flattulence?)