Author Topic: How many adult SpongeBob fans like the "new" stuff?  (Read 11341 times)

sb49152

How many adult SpongeBob fans like the "new" stuff?
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:13:50 pm »
In one of the DVD commentaries it mentioned that 2/3 of the SpongeBob fans are adults.  Thought that was pretty cool   :mellow:

But... I doubt that continues with the "new" stuff.  Starting with the SB movie & season 4, I can't believe how much it has changed.  The stories are not as creative, seem more "childish" and IMO have lost the adult appeal.  SpongeBob also has a different attitude and voice style now.  He sounds and acts plain "silly" where he used to be more "serious yet sarcastic" sounding and more entertaining.

I am still a big fan of seasons 1,2,3 and watch them all the time.  I am hoping the producers will get the message and bring back the old SB for season 5, but I am not holding my breath.  At least no matter how many times I see them, the old stuff never seems to get old  :mellow:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:19:26 pm by sb49152 »

bub1028

Re: How many adult SpongeBob fans like the "new" stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:50:08 pm »
I'm not technically an adult, but...

Apart from the episode Krusty Towers, my mom hasn't laughed at anything of season 4.  So to answer your question, I'm not thinking very many...

sb49152

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 08:45:55 am »
Apart from the episode Krusty Towers, my mom hasn't laughed at anything of season 4.  So to answer your question, I'm not thinking very many...

Exactly how my wife and I feel.  Also if you've noticed, 90% of the repeat episodes played on Nick are from season 1,2,3 (not 4)... even they know it.

bub1028

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:20:31 pm »
Exactly how my wife and I feel.  Also if you've noticed, 90% of the repeat episodes played on Nick are from season 1,2,3 (not 4)... even they know it.
Yeah, it's sad, we used to all go and watch it together, but now I barely laugh at it, much less my family.

Offline MEEP!

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:56:38 pm »
Well the animation and style really changed for season 2, but the show stayed pretty good. The recent episodes (from what I've seen) are just them acting stupid for laughs. I'm not saying they've never acted silly or stupid, but it's a lot less funny in the recent episodes. The plots suck. I don't think I've even laughed at a single part of a season 4 episode.
Mr. Krabs: Do you smell it..that smell...a kind of smelly smell...a smelly smell that smells smelly. Anchovies.
Squidward: What?
Mr. Krabs: ANCHOVIES!
Anchovies: MEEP, MEEP, MEEP.

I probably won't be on here too much being in college and all. I will try to pop on every once in a while though to share my thoughts.

Sb129

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 06:24:59 am »
I think adults liked the movie, season 4 not so much.

Sponge-Bart

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 09:16:56 am »
I'm not an adult (i won't be one for awile) but i also think spongebob is not as good as he used to be. i used to watch every new episode with my mom. now i don't. i barely laugh at them. i remember in 2002 when "Clams" first aired, and my mom was rolling all over the floor because of the "rubbing the dollar up and down" thing and squidward, when asked does he know what this is? he responds "a very dirty dollar". she laughed so hard. she watched "krusty towers" with me, and the part where patrick said "i didn't know there was going to be a test! i didn't study!" she smiled and laughed. but that one's the only one i really laughed at this season.

Sb129

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 10:39:46 am »
Wow! Moms like SB! :O Besides Angelene? My Dad is the parent who laughs at SB.

LookMomNoHands

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 05:38:43 pm »
Avast! The new season be a bit more... "psychedelic", mateys! I'm game! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

PatSponge StarPants

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 10:55:51 pm »
I'm 19, so I guess you can consider me an adult. Anyway, I like Season 4. Where do people say it's changed a lot? It hasn't changed THAT much. People who say that are just too nitpicky.

patrick2403

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 06:08:07 pm »
I don't get the people who say SpongeBob's voice has changed. IF it has changed there was a much bigger change in his voice between Season 1 and 2 than Seasons 3 and 4. There are a few bad episodes (Enemy in Law, All that Glitters) but for the most part I like Season 4.

bub1028

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 09:47:34 am »
I don't get the people who say SpongeBob's voice has changed. IF it has changed there was a much bigger change in his voice between Season 1 and 2 than Seasons 3 and 4. There are a few bad episodes (Enemy in Law, All that Glitters) but for the most part I like Season 4.
The only episode I really noticed that was Skill Crane.  Other than that...

Arkei

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 04:18:27 pm »
My Mom doesn't enjoy any sort of cartoon. My dad is more of the person to like Spongebob. Which is strange, considering he is the person that works and makes me work more than my mom does.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 07:24:53 pm »
This adult thinks season 4 can go jump off a cliff.  I have barely had a good laugh at all. That one scene where the Krabby Patty tells Spongebob that he will always be there in his arteries was kinda funny.  That's about it.  Nitpicky?  I am way nitpicky.  It's mindless drivel now.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 04:07:55 pm »
Season 4 has had its ups and downs. I certainly dont think its as good as season 2 or 3. I think its up there with season 1. Both were good but not 'spongebob...eee...' enough =\

There are a few dislikes with season 4 with me but I'll just name a couple:
1) Spongebob's voice is higher pitched than the other season. I realize its a new season and a lot later aired than the other ones but c'mon... <.<;;
2) Episodes seem to last '5 minutes' than the usual 11 minutes in the past seasons.

I'm still enjoying season 4 a lot because of the many episodes I can laugh at. There are more episodes this season than last 3 seasons that I cannot stand but I won't get into that :P