Author Topic: New System Build  (Read 4122 times)

carterhawk

New System Build
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:59:28 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:03:12 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
Re: New System Build
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:26:07 pm »
I'll say this over and over and over again...

Ram is important :)

But spending 360$ for ram is dumb, especially when other stuff out there can OC just as well with an even lower voltage marker than the ones you picked out :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095

^ meets DDR2-667 4-4-4-12 1.8V spec, something that is fairly uncommon, especially when the same ram hits DDR2-800 still at the same settings. Many people out there have gotten it up to 1000 easy @ 2.1v, and one guy talked of having it at 1100 @ 2.2v.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best bang-for-your buck.

Ask cmonkey...i spent 300$ on my ram and went against his 150$ idea, and i regret it to this day.

carterhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:02:36 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:03:06 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:13:39 pm »
well mr 666... (lmao post count ur teh devil111!!)

If that's what u wanna spend money on, then go ahead...lmao

Oh yea...if you got money that big, then just wait for corsair's PC10000 ram :)

carterhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:18:53 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:03:00 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 01:21:33 pm »
I approve, except for the case, physX, and hard drives.

I just dont like Thermaltake, as they are not known for innovation as much as glitzing things up and "borrowing" ideas from other companies.  Check out the Antec P180 or Nine Hundred if you haven't yet.  Good quality and cooling.

PhysX, in my opinion, will never catch on, especially as Nvidia and ATI/AMD are now implementing GPU based physics accelleration.

The hard drives themselves are excellent, but if you're serious about RAID 1+0, you're going to want an actual RAID card, not whatever software based stuff is on the motherboard.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Offline Roger

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:38 pm »
Wow.  What's the system going to cost you total? :S

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:15:26 pm »
I just dont like Thermaltake, as they are not known for innovation as much as glitzing things up and "borrowing" ideas from other companies.  Check out the Antec P180 or Nine Hundred if you haven't yet.  Good quality and cooling.

I missed that....

I believe the Nine Hundred was specifically designed to cool the 680 mobos....

carterhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:21:58 pm »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:02:52 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:42:06 am »
m'Kay ive made a few changes, partly based on my own stuff and some on what cmonkey said. I original had the antec, but then the thermaltake looked cool, but ill stick with the antec on cmonkey's advice.

The thermaltake's always look cool, but everyone I know that has owned one complains about 1 big thing on them after a while. A friend who has the armor complains nonstop about the stupid doors...and how easily they get squeaky :P

The Nine Hundred is def. the best case out for the 680i chipset boards and their evil layout

Ive taken out hte ageia card until more games support it

Just as cmonkey said...it was just a first product on the scene for physics, and nVidia saw that they should be doin it too....

It was something to buy when it came out, but in a few months it'll be obsolete :)

I'm dumping the 0+1 idea and just going with raid 1 for backup, since im not running a file server :p

And that was probably the biggest mistake that I made. RAID 1 is alright if you love reformatting about every 6 months or so...

It's TTF is approx. 1 year, but random reboots and idiotic error messages make me want to slay it like a dragon. Next time I format the hdds (very very soon) then i'm gonna go for just plain ol crapload of discs :)

If money isn't an issue, go 0+1 or 5...

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=3939205

Take a look, see what you think. Once someone makes a CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive ill get it so i can enjoy any media i want.

First off, the list doesn't work...atleast for me :P

LG will be the first one out with such a device...just keep a lookout for high priced items made by LG :)

As for cost, well, its near $6,000. Keep in mind that it will (if i get this job!!!) take me about 4 to 6 months before i have this kind of money, and by then much may change, including a wider selection of DX10 video cards.

Although I love building computers, I've learned that the money you put into it evaporates quicker than gasoline. I put about 2000$ into my midrange rig back when I built it, and a little over a year later, it's worth no more than 700$. Unless you plan on doing a complete upgrade every 6 months, then don't buy super high end. There are much better things to do with your money. A car, student debts, a house, etc etc....

In truth, my next computer will be more of an upgrade...

I'm basically give my computer to my parents with just the cd burner and no harddrives (they'll use a 40gig IDE i grabbed for free for em) and I'll run a RAID 1 with the OS on an 80gig sata drive. And the parts for my upgrade will be only near 500$, and they're nice enough for me....the nf-m2, 2gigs of that ram that I posted above, a 3800+, and a tv tuner :) And I'll throw it all inside a case that I've been working on for a while now...cause empty cases are abundant at my house :)

carterhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:49:41 am »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:02:34 pm by The All Seeing Eye »

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 01:43:15 pm »
works....ty :)

bub1028

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
I want that laptop with 1GB graphics from Alienware or something....