5 (55.6%)
No
3 (33.3%)
I don't know
0 (0%)
I don't care
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: File-swapping  (Read 5007 times)

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
File-swapping
« on: February 18, 2004, 11:12:39 am »
What do you think about file sharing (I.E., Kazaa, WinMX, Nappster.) I think it's stupid that you can't use them, becuase I don't want to pay 15$ for a CD that I want 1 track off of.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 11:13:38 am by IZLover »

mermaidman97007

File-swapping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:13:32 am »
Fixed, and yes I do.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
File-swapping
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:40:38 am »
What do you think about file sharing (I.E., Kazaa, WinMX, Nappster.) I think it's stupid that you can't use them, becuase I don't want to pay 15$ for a CD that I want 1 track off of.
If you have Real and register I think you can download induvigual songs for 99 cents each and they have almost every song. I voted yes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 11:41:15 am by SpongeBrain »
All Time

Weekly

lemonsrock103

File-swapping
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:43:52 am »
I like file-sharing. The RIAA sucks bigtime.

OFF TOPIC: SpongeBrain, I love your signature. That commercial owns!
I copied off the lyrics from the TV and put them in my away message.
w00t!
We love the subsssss!!!
Subs are a dollar offfff!
When you bring in a couponnn!!!
For things to eat or oil changessss!
Or pony rides or hair plugssss!
Any coupon workss!
Beware of paper cutsssss!!!
Get Quizno Subs!!

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
File-swapping
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 12:34:26 pm »
I hate the RIAA and the way that the music industry is setup right now.  The record companies are getting way too bloated on cash.  Online music distribution is definately the way of the future, but not file sharing.  It's not cool to work your rear end off making a song or a game only to have it pirated and spread around the internet.  Piracy is really getting out of hand.  Apparently Halo for Mac had more copies pirated than actually sold.  So, no use complaining about things without thinking of a solution.  My solution is to eliminate the middleman.  The RIAA and record companies as we know them must go.  Distributing music directly over something like iTunes would be a much better idea.  Right now, Apple is actually losing money for every song sold on iTunes.  They only reason they're making a profit on music is hardware sales of iPods.  Why?  Because a dollar a song isn't enough for the phreaks at the record companies.  The artists themselves recieve only 5-10% of the profits made on thier music.  So, you pay a dollar for a song on iTunes, the artist gets a dime.  Of course, there is a much better way of doing it.  If you remove the RIAA from the picture, you could end up paying 10 cents a song, and having all of it go to the artist.  What about Apple?  Instead of making a loss on every song sold, they would be breaking even.  10 cents a song, or a dollar for an album is very reasonable.  I would buy my entire collection of MP3s if it was at that price.  Anyway, back to file-sharing.  I think that Kazaa, WinMX, Emule, and other such file-sharing networks suck.  Really, they're horrible.  You may complain that "They  can be used for legal purposes!"  Well, they can, but its bad idea.  If you want to spread a file without wasting your own bandwidth, use Bittorrent.  It's much more efficient, and its almost guarunteed to work well.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

melly005

File-swapping
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 05:15:44 pm »
i've been a bad girl...

yes i file-share and luv it......

forgetting the legal issues behind it, who WOULDN"T luv it??

super_sayian_spongebob

File-swapping
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 05:23:35 pm »
RIAA is garbage. They should die. Although I didn't understand what Cmonkey said.  :wacko:  

melly005

File-swapping
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 05:26:15 pm »
me neither...

too advanced for high-schooler moi

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
File-swapping
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 05:34:45 pm »
RIAA is garbage. They should die. Although I didn't understand what Cmonkey said.  :wacko:
What cmonkey was saying is get rid of the RIAA. Then Apple could charge 10 cents a song and not lose any money. That's where the majority of teh money goes to is the RIAA.

Yellowbird

File-swapping
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 12:11:40 pm »
I'd say record companies and piracy are both ruining the music business.

Record companies care nothing about their artists, the quality of music they support, or the stores that sell their artist's music. Paying a good artist like Sting (lol, my mom loves him so I'm using him as an example) $1 dollar for every $20 record he sells that has the music he wrote and that he sang is HIGHWAY ROBBERY. Record companies also favor larger chains and kinda force smaller ones to only put music on the shelves that sell or they won't give the smaller stores incentives such as record signings and buy backs. I'll go into a mom and pop music store and only see the horrible music that is on the radio for sale. Walmart will always have Justin Timberlake but won't have Massive Attack. Record companies putting out lame pop & fad music that all sound the same floods the market with crap music. Is there a really a tangible difference between Justin Timberlake and his bandmate JC Chavez? Does the world need both of them with solo albums that have derivative humdrum songs with the required rap verse on the booty-shaker pop song? It may be high school girl blamsphemy, but I say NO! And then record companies wonder why no one is buying music. And the prices?? If it costs them $2 to make a CD in China, then why the heebees does it cost me $20 to buy it in the US? I never loved math, but something is very very wrong here. Yes, cutting out the middleman like cmonkey suggested is a very attractive solution for the artist and buyer.

Piracy robs artists, short changes legitimate music stores, and jacks up prices for people who pay legitimately. Because some download happy CD copier put all of Tricky's music on Kazaa, those who want to buy the album from a store pay more for it. Not that I cry for singers with million dollar lifestyles, but they should be compensated for their work and piracy denies them that right. Smaller stores can't compete with free or places like Walmart that can sell CDs for cheap and still make a profit (because tons of people shop there--the make their profit in numbers). So piracy robs them too.

AND crappy artists who put out horrible music need to find another job.  NOW.

Classical music never disappoints me.  :band:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:15:05 pm by Yellowbird »

Megan

File-swapping
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 12:31:02 pm »
i dont like it. people i think are too greedy.  

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
File-swapping
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 02:01:51 pm »
Yes, cutting out the middleman from it all sounds like the best solution...but it will never work. I think that we'll be having this problem for some time..

Alain2k5

File-swapping
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 03:23:45 pm »
My friend got caught downloading mp3s from Bittorrent/Kazaa Lite K++ and is now probably getting sued by the RIAA.  :mellow:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 03:24:02 pm by Alain2k4 »

lemonsrock103

File-swapping
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 03:29:47 pm »
My friend got caught downloading mp3s from Bittorrent/Kazaa Lite K++ and is now probably getting sued by the RIAA.  :mellow:
Oh my word...That's awful.  

mermaidman97007

File-swapping
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 03:58:14 pm »
I agree the record industry could care less about what type/quality of music they put out. To them so long as it sell over 10,000 copies its all good to them.

I also agree that piracy is harming the music industry. But if the music industry wasn't so greedy there wouldnt be a 'market' for piracy either.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:01:42 pm by mermaidman97007 »