Author Topic: In God We Trust  (Read 15655 times)

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
In God We Trust
« on: October 07, 2004, 08:20:31 pm »
I realize they already made the decision to keep "under God" in the pledge of allegiance but I want to hear everyones opinion about this as if they havent made a decision yet

GrEeNdAyFrEaK

In God We Trust
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 08:24:57 pm »
It's tradition, keep it that way. Like i've said before "One nation under whatever being, idol, God, or lack thereof ..." just isn't catchy XD

Offline Scilla

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
In God We Trust
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:22:44 pm »
Hey, like Bush says...If this world was built on CHRISTIANITY, and gay people cant be married, then WHY should we get rid of THAT? Huh? I think it SHOULD be removed, but at the same time, I dont. Its a hard decision.

ESP

In God We Trust
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 02:15:49 am »
I would have to say that ideallically there are a couple of major hipocracies created by "under God" being a part of the Pledge of Allegience,

"Seperation of church and state" should dictate that the government not mention, endorse, or acknowledge God, a god, or any religious entities.

"Freedom of Religion" ... hmmm ... I've been thinking about this one and there is nothing in the first ammendment that I can recall which states that we have a right to non-belief... thusly a nondescript undefined "under god" may still be justified.  As it is only a right to believe in a religion, not disbelieve (I don't have a constitution to look at, so I may be wrong here.)

Like i've said before "One nation under whatever being, idol, God, or lack thereof ..." just isn't catchy

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands.  One nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Just drop the whole mention of under anything. It only sounds weird because we're used to under god, but in three generations they would think it sounded funny with it.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
In God We Trust
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:46:12 pm »
Only Christians believe that the world was build on christianity.  I believe it was built on greed and pride.

By the way, the Pledge was originally made without "under god" in it, which is why it sounds fine without it.  "Under God" was officially added in 1954 by Congress in order to  distance the US from the Soviet Union, which was officially an athiest country.  I do not consider it tradition to have "under god" in it, because the pledge was without that phrase for a longer time than it was with it.  Therefore, I believe it should be removed, buth because "Under god" is only a relic from cold war era fears, and because this nation is becoming increasingly athiest.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:52:51 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Starr2k3

In God We Trust
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 02:06:48 pm »
I never say "Under god" in the pledge of allegiance...

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
In God We Trust
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 02:08:44 pm »
I realize they already made the decision to keep "under God" in the pledge of allegiance but I want to hear everyones opinion about this as if they havent made a decision yet
I'll make it into a poll in a min. ok?

Starr2k3

In God We Trust
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 02:10:03 pm »
I'll just delete it. This is fine.

super_sayian_spongebob

In God We Trust
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 03:27:12 pm »
I think it should be in the pledge of allegience. It's not "praying", it's just devoting your loyality to you country. That's what I think.

Starr2k3

In God We Trust
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 03:33:21 pm »
I think it should be in the pledge of allegience. It's not "praying", it's just devoting your loyality to you country. That's what I think.
But not everyone in America believes in God and should not have to say god in the pledge to give respect to America.

super_sayian_spongebob

In God We Trust
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 03:36:58 pm »
But not everyone in America believes in God and should not have to say god in the pledge to give respect to America.
Well then for those who don't believe in God, then just don't say that part in the pledge.  

Elizabeth Rose

In God We Trust
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:42:09 pm »
I say leave it. It's a tradition even if it was only added in the 1950s. If you don't like that part, don't say it, it's that simple.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
In God We Trust
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 03:46:55 pm »
You can't...your not a mad/admin

MiraclrPlz

In God We Trust
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 05:40:27 pm »
Leave it.  I love it being there.  I say leave it just because non-religious people hate it.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
In God We Trust
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 08:31:13 pm »
I say remove it. Religion in schools = Hitler brainwashing kids when they're young.