Author Topic: Console Wars  (Read 239545 times)

Offline partiallynothing

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://stripslashes.net/
Console Wars
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2005, 10:38:13 am »
The licensing fees are minimal when a huge corporation is doing it.  The price would not be significantly lower without it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 09:03:30 pm by partiallynothing »

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Console Wars
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2005, 01:22:43 pm »
DVD Playback Kit: Required in order to play DVD movies, the kit includes an infrared remote control and receiver. DVD playback was not included as a standard feature of the Xbox due to licensing issues with the DVD format that would have added extra cost to the console's base price. By selling a DVD remote separately, Microsoft was able to bundle the cost of the DVD licensing fee with it. Although there is nothing to prevent the Xbox from acting as a progressive-scan DVD player, Microsoft chose not to enable this feature in the Xbox DVD kit in order to avoid royalty payments to the patent-holder of progressive scan DVD playback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XBOX#Multimedia
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:22:58 pm by IZ »

Offline partiallynothing

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://stripslashes.net/
Console Wars
« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2005, 03:20:52 pm »
Lets see, the origional argument was against dvd playback in the PS2 to lower prices.  Well, I can buy the PS2 for $149.99 here, which includes DVD playback, or I can buy the XBOX for $149.99 here, plus buy an XBOX dvd playback kit for $24.99 here.

So, Sony included DVD playback for no more money than the XBOX without DVD playback.  Whats the problems now?

The CSS decryptor for DVD playback costs a manufacturer a anual cost of $15,000 a year, no matter how many times or how many products it is used in.  So both Sony and Microsoft are paying $15,000 a year.  Aren't you a little more pissed off at Microsoft for selling the  "playback kit" separately now.

The licensor of CSS encryption technology is DVD CCA (Copy Control Association), a non-profit trade association with offices at 225 B Cochrane Circle, Morgan Hill, CA. There is a $15,000 annual licensing fee, but no per-product royalties.
You can read more of the above article here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:32:58 pm by partiallynothing »

timstapels

Console Wars
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2005, 06:16:38 pm »
Lets see, the origional argument was against dvd playback in the PS2 to lower prices.  Well, I can buy the PS2 for $149.99 here, which includes DVD playback, or I can buy the XBOX for $149.99 here, plus buy an XBOX dvd playback kit for $24.99 here.

So, Sony included DVD playback for no more money than the XBOX without DVD playback.  Whats the problems now?

The CSS decryptor for DVD playback costs a manufacturer a anual cost of $15,000 a year, no matter how many times or how many products it is used in.  So both Sony and Microsoft are paying $15,000 a year.  Aren't you a little more ::Dolphin Noise::ed off at Microsoft for selling the  "playback kit" separately now.

The licensor of CSS encryption technology is DVD CCA (Copy Control Association), a non-profit trade association with offices at 225 B Cochrane Circle, Morgan Hill, CA. There is a $15,000 annual licensing fee, but no per-product royalties.
[snapback]185391[/snapback]
You've really got a winner there Partially.
Thanks for the link as well, it was intereseting to read.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Console Wars
« Reply #484 on: June 04, 2005, 10:36:40 am »
Lets see, the origional argument was against dvd playback in the PS2 to lower prices.  Well, I can buy the PS2 for $149.99 here, which includes DVD playback, or I can buy the XBOX for $149.99 here, plus buy an XBOX dvd playback kit for $24.99 here.

So, Sony included DVD playback for no more money than the XBOX without DVD playback.  Whats the problems now?

The CSS decryptor for DVD playback costs a manufacturer a anual cost of $15,000 a year, no matter how many times or how many products it is used in.  So both Sony and Microsoft are paying $15,000 a year.  Aren't you a little more pissed off at Microsoft for selling the  "playback kit" separately now.

[snapback]185391[/snapback]

Oh, I don't like the XBOX at all. I never bought the DVD playback kid (I'd rather use a regular DVD player).

timstapels

Console Wars
« Reply #485 on: June 04, 2005, 01:48:44 pm »
I'm getting a multi-region DVD since PS2 is only one zone and I can't be bothered starting up my action replay everytime I watch Spongebob  :tongue:

skywalker8

Console Wars
« Reply #486 on: July 01, 2005, 04:26:14 pm »
dosent anyone like ps2? i have one and i think it has the best controller. But, Xbox is the best console out right now and unless anything changes, halo will probably be the greatest games ever.

Banana

Console Wars
« Reply #487 on: July 02, 2005, 06:54:01 am »
I love the PS2, controller, but it is not my favorite system. I despise X-Box.

-Banana

skywalker8

Console Wars
« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2005, 09:38:18 am »
Patrick, right now I'm playing Halo and Morrowind.  I've also been playing a lot of PC stuff lately.
[snapback]669[/snapback]

ive been paying star wars battlefront lately and alot of other star wars stuff. hence the name.

mermaidboy_and_barnacleman

Console Wars
« Reply #489 on: July 04, 2005, 04:19:46 pm »
I love Xbox. I like the controller and the games. But still, I like all systems.  :tongue:

SpongeBobAndyZX14

Console Wars
« Reply #490 on: July 04, 2005, 04:36:21 pm »
GameCube is the best.  I think all the controllers suck.  There's not enough buttons.

:mf_laughbounce: *goes button crazy* :mf_w00t2:

UltraSpongeyDude

Console Wars
« Reply #491 on: July 10, 2005, 02:18:08 pm »
Definately the GameCube. It had the coolest, most comfortable controller out there. Also, It is wayyyyy more portable then others cause its so small, and even has a built in handle at the back. Also, it has some of the best games out there. Such as, SuperSmash Bros. Meele, Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, And the best Soul Calibur 2 character (Link). You also get all those great Nintendo only franchises. Like Mario, Zelda, Metroid and more. It also had great graphics.

There's why I think that GameCube is the best! :ph34r:

weird_4

Console Wars
« Reply #492 on: August 09, 2005, 09:24:30 pm »
I like Game Cube because its verycool. And the best part is that it's shaped in a cube.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Console Wars
« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2005, 09:39:19 pm »
I like Game Cube because its verycool. And the best part is that it's shaped in a cube.
[snapback]216305[/snapback]
I was wondering how they came up with the name.

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
Console Wars
« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2005, 11:16:26 pm »
hahaha. I love the Cube. And Reveoutions looks awsome. Im getting the Cube this November for my birthday.

And people keep saying:
GAMECUBE SUCKS BECAUSE IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A DVD PLAYER!

Well, my awnser to that:
YOUR NOT BUYING A DVD PLAYER!!!! YOUR BUYING A VIDEO GAME SYSTEM! IF YOU WANT A DVD PLAYER BY A FREAKIN PANASONIC.

Also, the cube has the BEST game selection. PS2 may have most games, but loads of them are crap! Or at least to me they are crap. And the gamecubes graphics are great on a nice vivid screen.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:19:52 pm by Sponge-Tron_X »