Author Topic: Gays Can't Give Blood.  (Read 23893 times)

Jackie-Boy

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« on: November 27, 2004, 06:57:33 pm »
So The American Red Cross will disqualify any man that has had sex with another man since 1977 cause of the risk of HIV infection. Is this policy archaic? Maybe even discriminatory? With various blood shortages, wouldn't removing this policy help?

Currently the largest source of new infection, in PA anyway, is black women. Should they be disqualified?

What do you all think? Is it the same in other countries?  

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 07:20:59 pm »
If it says it on the paper...its true and you cant qualify

Dragon Of Grief

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 07:24:19 pm »
Well, it seems fair to me. Homosexuals are at high risk for that type of stuff. I was asked when I went to donate blood for my school. I still couldn't anyways, but it was because I was on antibiotics at the time.

Offline spongemonkey13

• SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 07:26:50 pm »
how do they know the guy isnt lying. he could always just say he was straight

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 07:34:49 pm »
So The American Red Cross will disqualify any man that has had sex with another man since 1977 cause of the risk of HIV infection. Is this policy archaic? Maybe even discriminatory? With various blood shortages, wouldn't removing this policy help?

Currently the largest source of new infection, in PA anyway, is black women. Should they be disqualified?

What do you all think? Is it the same in other countries?
Eh, I somewhat agree, but not that long of a time period. Maybe from like 77 - mid 80s.

super_sayian_spongebob

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 09:04:10 pm »
I think it's for safety reasons, because many gays have AIDS (I'm not being mean), but it's a known fact. Sorry.  

Gideon Brown

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 09:18:10 pm »
This is pointless...why bother ask when they HAVE to test the blood first? It'd be like..."Are you gaY?" "Yes." "HIV POSITIVE!! AAAAAAAGH!" pretty darn stupid when the leading majority of people with AIDS are young women in their early twenties.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 06:03:37 am »
I think it's for safety reasons, because many gays have AIDS (I'm not being mean), but it's a known fact. Sorry.
Actually, homosexuals are at a lower risk than heterosexuals.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 08:04:42 am »
It's a seemingly rediculous precaution, but the Red Cross has a lot of them.  You can't give blood if you've visited certain countries.  List of requirements to give blood
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

MiraclrPlz

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 03:39:28 pm »
the leading majority of people with AIDS are young women in their early twenties.
THAT IS NOT TRUE!  HIV is  disease that spreads amoung MEN!!!  And they shouldn't let gays give blood.  I don't want to get AIDS, thank you very much.  I'm not saying all gays get AIDS but alot do.  

Fredaykin

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 04:57:04 pm »
the leading majority of people with AIDS are young women in their early twenties.
THAT IS NOT TRUE!  HIV is  disease that spreads amoung MEN!!!  And they shouldn't let gays give blood.  I don't want to get AIDS, thank you very much.  I'm not saying all gays get AIDS but alot do.
Dear... Lord....  Do you honestly believe that HIV spreads among gay men, and not other people?  Please, please tell me this: where do you get your information?  I... don't even know what to say here...

MiraclrPlz

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 06:30:01 pm »
Don't listen to Liberal Propaganda.  I speak the truth.

Fredaykin

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 06:57:07 pm »
Theres an enormous difference between Liberal Propoganda and simple facts about a disease that does not discriminate between males and females.

MiraclrPlz

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 06:58:31 pm »
You've never heard the disease spreads among men?  Of course it does.  

Fredaykin

Gays Can't Give Blood.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 07:07:23 pm »
Don't get me wrong, i absolutely know that the disease spread among men.  I'm just saying that it is completely wrong to think that it only spreads among men, and i hope that you know that.