Author Topic: Firefox Speed Boost  (Read 11133 times)

Snowthrower

Firefox Speed Boost
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:41:21 pm »
Ok, let me state this. I am NOT responcible if you (insert favorite swear word here) up Firefox doing this. As long as you follow my EXACT directions, you should be O.K.. But remember I'm NOT responcible if you mess it up.

If your a multitasker [like me, you will LOVE this]

01. Open a new tab (Ctrl+T) and go to it, type "about:config" without the quotes in your address bar

02. Find "browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" and double click it if it is not already in bold.

03. Find "networking.http.pipelining" and double click it if it is not already in bold.

04. Find "networking.http.pipelining.maxrequests", double click it and change the value to 100.

05. Close that tab and restart Firefox

Firefox is now able to send multiple requests to one server allowing fast page views. Also allows more than 4 pages to be loading at one time.

Enjoy!

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:52:46 pm »
Woa. This is pretty cool. I'll test it on my computer when I get a new wireless card. What could go wrong though? (I'm a computer moron.)

Offline AppleNick

• SpongeBob
  • ドブネズミみたいに
    • View Profile
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 08:59:03 pm »
Woa. This is pretty cool. I'll test it on my computer when I get a new wireless card. What could go wrong though? (I'm a computer moron.)
[snapback]145639[/snapback]

If you follow Snow's directions, it will work fine. You just have to COMPLETELY do what he says.

I did it myself, and it's awesome.

Spiff

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 09:59:39 pm »
w00t. it works awesome for me  

GIR

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 05:30:45 am »
Im gonna do it when I get home

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 11:57:39 am »
Thanks. :D

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 12:54:53 pm »
Waste of time...

Why would you wanna just boost the speed of a browser if it works for you anyways. That's completely idiotic. I'm not trying to say that snowthrower is dumb but what's worng with normal speed? People are so impatient :P

Offline RandomDude18

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 01:24:16 pm »
OMG ! I now have 4mbps and ssj this is NOT waste of time. It could be really helpful for dial up users.
http://img106.exs.cx/img106/9913/snapshot19gl.png
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 01:28:26 pm by Red Hat »

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 01:36:07 pm »
Waste of time...

Why would you wanna just boost the speed of a browser if it works for you anyways. That's completely idiotic. I'm not trying to say that snowthrower is dumb but what's worng with normal speed? People are so impatient :P
[snapback]145677[/snapback]

... Are you just arguing to annoy people?

I'm gonna try it right now. Hope it works.

EDIT: This is so awesome.

1.7 megabits per second
Communications 1.7 megabits per second
Storage 213.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.8 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Thats really great for me, considering I was getting horrible speed because of our new mac router.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 01:44:27 pm by SizzlinSean »

copycat136

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 02:06:58 pm »
I a dail-up user(yeah it stinks)soo i cant take chances like that bc ive got a lot to loss.  Sooo,can you undo it if it dosnt work or you just dont like it?  If you have the answer plese email me at  copycat136@gmail.com   Thanks

Snowthrower

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 04:20:40 pm »
Mine is 6.0 now. Before it was 5.2mbps :biggrin:

Also, just make a copy of the the Firefox folder and make the changes. Restore the folder if it messes it up.

Ssj: Are you hired by Microsoft to trodden on users who use superior browsers to theirs?  :tongue:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 04:26:37 pm by Snowthrower »

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:05:46 pm »
Mine is 6.0 now. Before it was 5.2mbps :biggrin:

Also, just make a copy of the the Firefox folder and make the changes. Restore the folder if it messes it up.

Ssj: Are you hired by Microsoft to trodden on users who use superior browsers to theirs?  :tongue:
[snapback]145763[/snapback]

I'll admit that not all of MS products are good but I support IE all the way. I'm just kinda pondering why on earth you would want to make a browser, that WORKS 100% correctly, faster? I think it's rather pointless but that's my opinion on it

Snowthrower

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 05:25:40 pm »
Why should I have to use extra tools inorder to keep the browser work the way its supposed to? I have to use Spybot, Ad-Aware, and SpywareBlaster as well as the Google Toolbar on IE.

IE is MUCH slower than Firefox (sure it loads up slower, but it browses much faster). You should seriously give Firefox a try and learn its time to veer away from the E.

I shouldnt have to use external tools to keep my computer safe. My browser should be safe enough to visit websites and not have to worry about getting spyware.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 05:35:50 pm »
I've used firefox a few times and everytime I install it...something goes wrong with my computer...so I have to re-format or fix it some other way.

IE isnt THAT slow...You dont need all those extra tools...I dont use mine but once every 2-3 weeks now...maybe even once a month

Snowthrower

Firefox Speed Boost
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 06:05:05 pm »
I've used firefox a few times and everytime I install it...something goes wrong with my computer...so I have to re-format or fix it some other way.
[snapback]145792[/snapback]

Then its something on your side. I've installed Firefox on over 100 computers and have never had a single problem.