Poll

What do you think of people who think image is more important?

They're idiots
14 (48.3%)
Don't Care
9 (31%)
They're fine
3 (10.3%)
Other (please state answer in post)
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Image  (Read 17128 times)

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
  • The cheese is always twice the fence-post!
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:42:57 am »
This is a debate going on at my school, we're discussing 'Image' and if we should keep our uniforms or not.
So, what do you think of people who beleive image comes before anything else?
Like choosing boyfriends/girlfriends, many girls at my school think Image is more important than personality.
Then you have those models on TV who keep saying they're too fat, when in fact they're on the edge of being so thin they would die.
And women who think having large breasts makes you a real woman, they're just retarded....but that's my opinion.

What do you think of people like this?
Cloud Killed Aerith! Sephiroth knocked her out and then Cloud drowned her!!!
http://www.zuperbuu.com

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Elizabeth Rose

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 10:51:42 am »
My opinion is to ::Dolphin Noise:: with image. People care more about the image you put on instead of what is really inside. They care more about pretending to be a good girl or a good boy instead of whether or not you really are.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 10:57:48 am »
This is a debate going on at my school, we're discussing 'Image' and if we should keep our uniforms or not.
So, what do you think of people who beleive image comes before anything else?
Like choosing boyfriends/girlfriends, many girls at my school think Image is more important than personality.
Then you have those models on TV who keep saying they're too fat, when in fact they're on the edge of being so thin they would die.
And women who think having large breasts makes you a real woman, they're just retarded....but that's my opinion.

What do you think of people like this?
[snapback]168119[/snapback]

I think image is not all important as long as you arent like a skanky dresser. Don't make yourself look so good that it just makes you look stupid. Dress with jeans and a shirt or a nice shirt. Girls will look for what you are in the inside instead of outside (at least I hope so) :P

Gideon Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:19:58 am »
While I think image is not important, I also have this hatred for uniforms. To say that it is JUST clothes that separates students is wrong. My old high school now has uniforms, and I visit often, and the 'kewl' kids still look and hang out with 'kewl' kids, and the 'geeks' still look like 'geeks'. Now the only problem is, I don't know which metalhead likes which band because they can't wear band T-shirts....so I can't go up to someone and say " OMGZZ!!!! Megadeth and Dream Theatre are having a GIGANTOUR!!!"

Image, though....is the devil. And it's more than just material things, from what I've learned.

Offline VulturEMaN

• Global Moderator
  • SpongeBob
  • Dengaku Man xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 04:56:33 pm »
People that think that 'image is everything' are usually pretty dumb.

I do think that standized clothing is stupid though. At our school, if anything is 'too loose' or 'too small', then you need to either get changed into some gym clothes or goto the office and get a 'long shirt'. The long shirts they give out are 5.5ft t-shirts that have built in snaps to adjust for short people.

Dragon Of Grief

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 06:01:03 pm »
Image is how one presents themselves... wether we realize it or not we all go after a certain image. But to answer your question I think it is very shallow.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:53:05 pm »
All the students in my school have started rebelling against the dress code.
Leaving shirts untucked when teachers say 'tuck your shirt it'.
Keeping their ties off when teachers say 'put your tie on'.
(yes, the girls wear ties too)
Wearing bright shirts under their school ones when it is against the rules.
We all agree that the uniform is just TOO uncomfortable, and people would prefere non-uniform.....but then again the headmaster is a total jerk and doesn't listen to the students of the skool.

I am Transgender. My old name was Sarah, it is now Tom. Sorry about the confusion.

Eva:Gina

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 12:21:54 am »
Image is how one presents themselves... wether we realize it or not we all go after a certain image. But to answer your question I think it is very shallow.
[snapback]168191[/snapback]
very true.
Image is how we prsent ourselves to the world. and given how we evolved, and even if you dont sgree in evolution, just how humans interact, we will make snap judgments about people based on how htey look.
its a survival technique, if hte scary crazy hobo didnt look like a scary crazy hobo, how would you know not to sit next to him on the bus ?? (maybe hte smell?? :D )

given that, school uniforms are annoying, but good.
A casual uniform is great. you dont have to stress about what to wear. my old school had a supplied uniform. but once you went through that, it was any pants or skirt as long as it was black, any tidy balck shoes and any white shirt.
for a poor girl at boarding school. a uniform was great.

but in your teens you really care about how you present yourself. at dio in auckland the EXPELLED a girl for shaving her head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we express ourselves and a notion of who we are and how we fit in, through what we wear.

thats why all these girls skipping round in tiny skirts and little tops is scary. not so much because you have to be ultra hot to pull it off and not look skanky. but everyone is wearing that stuff. so by htat means, everyone is the same on the inside  :ohmy:

Offline Daniel

• SpongeBob
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:48:23 am »
I voted Don't Care. Cause I don't.

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:14:13 am »
Their idiots!! I have actually gone through h.e.l.l in my school 'cos I'm not skeletal! (which I find pretty freaky!) I've always gone for personality in boys (and sometimes maybe looks are an added bonus but whatever) I think that guys should act the same way about girls.

I don't think that uniforms should stay because it add's individuality to our lives. (I'm only sayong that becuase I have the most uncomfortable uniform inthe planet!!) But I guess sometimes they can be good for people who don't have much money for regular clothes and end up being beaten up everyday....

Gideon Brown

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 11:45:56 am »
Ah but that's where you're wrong....uniforms are expensive. The uniforms at St Joe's are more expensive than Tommy Hilfiger. Three hundred bucks and you get one pair of pants and two shirts. Now if you ask me, that's a ripoff. But, of course...I buy my clothes at the Goodwill...five dollars a shirt, twenty dollars a pants, sometimes less.

So really, if you're poor, uniforms are dreadfully expensive!! And wearing a uniform is not going to get the geek to look just like the jock. People shun other people because of whether or not they are easy to pick on.

Offline Thomas

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • Zuperbuu Works
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 12:21:55 pm »
So you all basicly think:

Uniforms are stupid (in some cases)
Girls are the main persons to be most obsessed about image
Image is not important

Those are all good, at the moment all my year group (year 11, dunno what grade that would be in the USA) are protesting against the headmaster to get rid of uniform and ban short skirts and tops.....since they make us rockers feel sick. >_<
But he's just egnoring us, casting us away.
Proves he's a REAL jerk. :|

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 09:13:42 pm »
all the arguments here have good points, except for mr southern pride's.  it goes to show that people want to be horrible to each other, and weather you have a uniform or not, people will never be happy.

and about not being skinny? im far from thin and when i was gymming the other day, all the hot guys were perving at me (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and not the skinny running girl who was not allsweaty!! i decided its cos they liked my butt in my tight gym pants :D

go my butt!!!
also, when i was dancing once, i turned around and there was a row of guys leaning against hte wall behind me, looking at it. its like its hypnotic or somthing,(like pustulio from zim)  actuly, that thought has got me a bit scared of it!!

dont freak, not being bone is good. guys might say they like it, but every dude ive taked to who had a skinny girl didnt like it cos they arent cuddley. and feel like they will snap. who wants that?? gross
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:24:09 pm by Eva:Gina »

Offline IceFox

• SpongeBob
  • Jacked up on Red Bull
    • View Profile
    • http://Nothing.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 10:16:35 pm »
Image=Not Important. people make fun of people constemnlty because they dress weird. Its just overall dumb.

Wearing Uniforms-A Whole New Story. Wearing uniforms does not allow us to express ourselves.They are just stupid, and make us all look the same. It doesn't even do anything. People are just goiung to find more, meaner ways to makle fiun of others, and will not unite a school.

These two things are completely differnt, for those who make fun of people for how they look, or overlly obseesd about it, thats just dumb, and fits under the first one. For those who want to express themeselves and be able to just overall be themselves, that fits into number two. I hope you are all number two, and not stuck up number one.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 02:18:12 am »
Image=Not Important. people make fun of people constemnlty because they dress weird. Its just overall dumb.

Wearing Uniforms-A Whole New Story. Wearing uniforms does not allow us to express ourselves.They are just stupid, and make us all look the same. It doesn't even do anything. People are just goiung to find more, meaner ways to makle fiun of others, and will not unite a school.

These two things are completely differnt, for those who make fun of people for how they look, or overlly obseesd about it, thats just dumb, and fits under the first one. For those who want to express themeselves and be able to just overall be themselves, that fits into number two. I hope you are all number two, and not stuck up number one.
[snapback]168602[/snapback]
agreed
excpet for one thing. people who dress in a certain way and then get offended when people assume they are slutty/ dorky/ stupid etc.

as we all said, its how you present yourself, s o if your presenting yourself htat says "im a crazy axe murderer" then expect to be treated like one :D