Poll

School

Usefull
20 (80%)
Useless
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: School  (Read 18351 times)

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
School
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 03:10:31 pm »
School is very useful, I just believe that they need to re-work the entire school system. If a kid has a special talent for a specific subject(We'll say Language Arts for the example), then they shouldn't be expected to do as well with some form of math(which the person happens to not be good at). Instead of focusing on a certain talent that the person could do amazing things with, they force the child to be "good" at everything. That's why I think magnet schools are very underrated.

Oh, and I'm not speaking from personal experience.

Eva:Gina

School
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 03:39:30 pm »
School is very useful, I just believe that they need to re-work the entire school system. If a kid has a special talent for a specific subject(We'll say Language Arts for the example), then they shouldn't be expected to do as well with some form of math(which the person happens to not be good at). Instead of focusing on a certain talent that the person could do amazing things with, they force the child to be "good" at everything. That's why I think magnet schools are very underrated.

Oh, and I'm not speaking from personal experience.
[snapback]173957[/snapback]
very cool idea. but i was in a school like htat, and too many people abuse it.
if htere wernt so many stupid boppa goths slcking off and taking advantage of it, it would be perfect *sigh*

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
School
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 04:19:04 pm »
These are all great ideas and I wish my school would follow them. But I will never get a feild trip at my school, because they cut them from the budget. That's another reason why Americas schools suck so bad. You can't teach in a way that's any good without money, and unforitetly most schools don't have the money. If schools had more money, test scores would go up. But under the No Child Left Behind Act, only schools that do good on test scores get money. I spent 6 years at a poor urban school, with outdated text books, no A/C, 5-15 year old computers, and a building unfit for learning.
[snapback]173954[/snapback]
Well, I think there should be at least 2 field trips to some historic building maybe once a year. Test scores are up over here in Texas even if we didnt have the money. Our schoolers are very bright. We have like...10 year old books in history and we still use them. Our schools have recently gotten dell's...which suck...but its better than what we used to have. My mom's school has Mac 8's...pathetic computers they are.

Elizabeth Rose

School
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 05:14:53 pm »
if htere wernt so many stupid boppa goths slcking off and taking advantage of it, it would be perfect *sigh*
[snapback]173980[/snapback]

Whoah now, Goths aren't the only ones to goof off in school. Just because someone acts dumb in school doesn't mean they are Goth. Please don't generalize us like that, it's not correct at all.

Sean, that is an amazing idea. I always felt like crap because I do poorly in math and science, yet my language arts are amazing. I always felt bad for not being able to be amazing at everything.

Field trips are a good idea too.

School
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 05:19:27 pm »

Whoah now, Goths aren't the only ones to goof off in school. Just because someone acts dumb in school doesn't mean they are Goth. Please don't generalize us like that, it's not correct at all.

Sean, that is an amazing idea. I always felt like crap because I do poorly in math and science, yet my language arts are amazing. I always felt bad for not being able to be amazing at everything.

[snapback]174028[/snapback]
speaking from experiance
there is a difference, if you count yourself as a tennybopper goth who just wears black cloths and too much eye make up, then thats not really my fault.
i hung outwith the proper goths, who were cool, it was jsut htese stupid little cows thinking they wer cool by bunking ans going for ciggies al the time.
thats what happened with me, i went ot one of those schools, so im sorta in a better position to talk about it.
that is just what happened at my school, not necisarily what will happen at every school. im getting sick of having to type this stuff on every post jsut cos people take things too seriously. so STOP IT, im not out ot get everyone!!!

(hey, i though you were christian, anyways?? or do you just have the same sorta moral beleifs?? i never knew you were into pagan/ wicca??)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:26:50 pm by Eva:Gina »

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
School
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 05:27:05 pm »

[snapback]174028[/snapback]
Heh. Heh. Funny stuff that "dont generalize us like that" quote. I laughed at that one. I just cant picture you goth even though you wear all the dresses. You have pink for goodness sake! Thats not goth at all :P

Elizabeth Rose

School
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 05:47:22 pm »
speaking from experiance
there is a difference, if you count yourself as a tennybopper goth who just wears black cloths and too much eye make up, then thats not really my fault.
i hung outwith the proper goths, who were cool, it was jsut htese stupid little cows thinking they wer cool by bunking ans going for ciggies al the time.
thats what happened with me, i went ot one of those schools, so im sorta in a better position to talk about it.
that is just what happened at my school, not necisarily what will happen at every school. im getting sick of having to type this stuff on every post jsut cos people take things too seriously. so STOP IT, im not out ot get everyone!!!

(hey, i though you were christian, anyways?? or do you just have the same sorta moral beleifs?? i never knew you were into pagan/ wicca??)
[snapback]174033[/snapback]

No one's accusing you of being out to get anyone. Just don't talk about Goths like that, especially since you just said you knew some cool ones.

Goth is a mindset, a lifestyle, there is no religion related to it, but many Goths tend to accept Paganism/Wicca. You can be Goth and not be Pagan/Wiccan, just like you can be Pagan/Wiccan without being Goth. I am a Christian.

Heh. Heh. Funny stuff that "dont generalize us like that" quote. I laughed at that one. I just cant picture you goth even though you wear all the dresses. You have pink for goodness sake! Thats not goth at all :P
[snapback]174040[/snapback]

Hehehe, funny isn't it? Like I said, it's a mindset and a lifestyle. There are even some Goths that wear mostly white or burgundy. :biggrin:

School
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 05:55:40 pm »
ummm, ok. im ending htis here. to be goth is to pretty much not be christian.
you cant go "im depressed, and wear long skirts, im goth"
i said boppa goth, i know cool goths, not psydo goths who have no idea what htey are on about..........................................
to be honest, ive never met anyone since ive turned 14 who has said "i am a goth"
ive never met anyone who was so willing to generalise, or compartmentalise themselves like that.
example. evernesance are not goth, they are just buying into hte image.
im not gonna say anything more on this. its jsut a bit too creepy.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
School
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 06:01:02 pm »
It is true you make friends in school...but that is not really why you are there...you're there to LEARN STUFF.
I have found that many people who are older than me on this website have not payed attention to certain classes at school and they don't know the basics of everything I know...and it makes life difficult to debate with them.
Question is, who's fault is it that these people don't learn?
The student, the teacher or the classmates?
[snapback]173288[/snapback]
the system
[snapback]173748[/snapback]
the teachers...

they dont make it interesting enough. They need to liven it up.

Have AWESOME movies to show that goes along with the lesson. A movie that everyone enjoys, not some chick flick. Also, have people choose their own projects. But they have to do one, and they have to be done really well and not some written paper. Have some free days along the school year so the kids dont think you are boring all the time. Have 1-2 field trips to do something. Have a trip for lunch to get something to eat. Have the students write down some suggestions on what they should be able to do but give them boundaries before they start.

Yes, it is indeed part of the systems fault. They need to choose better teachers. But the teachers are mainly the responsibility. They give homework almost every day like to read something or to finish a paper.
[snapback]173756[/snapback]

It's not the teachers fault you can't watch major movies, a lot of schools have regulations on that.

Most students don't do their work as it is, so they should reward them for it?!

Field trips cost money, something schools don't have.

The schools don't have enough teachers as it is, so they're going to take almost anyone.

School
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 06:05:08 pm »
It's not the teachers fault you can't watch major movies, a lot of schools have regulations on that.

The schools don't have enough teachers as it is, so they're going to take almost anyone.
[snapback]174055[/snapback]
yeah, pretty much comes down to the fact that to have an awesome school, you need more money, and more compassionate people in power. people get power by being uncompassionate, so teh people under htem get less money.

its so weird

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
School
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 06:31:59 pm »

I'm not talking about Rated R movies...I'm talking about PG-13 or PG. PG-13 isnt even bad.

Thats why the teacher gives out something like...the people who do at least 90% of their work...get an extra 100 as a test grade. Or something like that.

Field Trips dont even have to be far. I mean...you can just do a trip to the ice cream factory and see how they make it. You can have a donation from each parent or something from other random people to donate to get some stuff from field trips.

School
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 07:19:51 pm »
or even just more onhands stuff. it doesnt take much to make htings more interesting. when our physiology lecturer was teaching us about cell structures, she made these stupid little modlels out of lettuce spinners and things, it was realy nerdy, but it worked, i still remeber and it was a 3d visual, as opposed to powerpoint or just blah blah blah.

just getting cool stuff to do, instead of sitting and listening.

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
School
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2005, 07:36:34 pm »

I'm not talking about Rated R movies...I'm talking about PG-13 or PG. PG-13 isnt even bad.

Thats why the teacher gives out something like...the people who do at least 90% of their work...get an extra 100 as a test grade. Or something like that.

Field Trips dont even have to be far. I mean...you can just do a trip to the ice cream factory and see how they make it. You can have a donation from each parent or something from other random people to donate to get some stuff from field trips.
[snapback]174075[/snapback]

It doesn't matter, there are a lot of schools who won't let any Hollywood release movies unless it directly deals with the topic the students are learning about, and even then it's a giant process.

Students have to learn how to do well on regular assignments and tests. No one will give them an easy way out when they're on their own.

You have to factor in the bus costs, pulling students out of class, permission from parents, and a lot of other things. It's not as simple as you seem to think.

Offline ssj4gogita4

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
School
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2005, 07:44:49 pm »
If you read one of my posts earlier, IZ, you wouldve read that I said that dealt with the subject they are talking about. Thats what kind of movie it has to be. But it has to be awesome :D

Elizabeth Rose

School
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2005, 07:45:32 pm »
ummm, ok. im ending htis here. to be goth is to pretty much not be christian.
you cant go "im depressed, and wear long skirts, im goth"
i said boppa goth, i know cool goths, not psydo goths who have no idea what htey are on about..........................................
to be honest, ive never met anyone since ive turned 14 who has said "i am a goth"
ive never met anyone who was so willing to generalise, or compartmentalise themselves like that.
example. evernesance are not goth, they are just buying into hte image.
im not gonna say anything more on this. its jsut a bit too creepy.
[snapback]174052[/snapback]

I give you part, and only part, of that. I don't really 100% label myself Goth, it's more of other people doing that for me, and I don't mind it. Things like that have never bothered me, and if I fit into a label, oh well. Still, there is a lot more to it than you realize. Having a fascination for dark things I have studied the Gothic culture intensely, and when I first started doing so I realized that I really did fit in. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. :happy:

Anyway, back on topic, I think schools could be improved greatly by hiring people who actually have a brain. No offense to anyone, but there are a lot of dummies in the education field. I know there are smart people out there, so forget the piece of paper and hire smart people. When my brother's 10th grade English teacher doesn't know what an adverb is there is something wrong.

Also, I think kids shouldn't get treated as if they are about to do something wrong. Not all kids are going to shoot up a school or do drugs. Don't treat kids like they are prisoners, like I know some schools do. Don't call the cops when a kid brings a GI-Joe gun to school or throws a tantrum.

And no more boring films. Bring in real ones. :tongue:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:15:41 pm by Elizabeth Rose »