Author Topic: Mario Kart: Double Dash!  (Read 10881 times)

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Mario Kart: Double Dash!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2003, 02:44:09 pm »
I've played many Mario Kart games.  They are fun, but nothing compared to GT3.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

KrabbyLand173

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 02:46:42 pm »
Cmonkey you have play Mario Kart but never nobody in the world has played Double Dash!!. You must wait to critisize it.

Yellowbird

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2003, 02:48:38 pm »
The best racing game is definately Gran Turismo 3, or at least Sega GT 2002, or maybe even Project Gotham Racing.

Nintendo isn't even close to being the founder of video games.  NOT EVEN CLOSE!  And actually, neither was Atari, although it was the first to popularize home gaming consoles.  The first home console was actually the Magnavox Odyssey, which came out in 1972.  That wasn't the start of video games either, just the start of home video games.

Listen to cmonkey, he knows what he's talking about. :cool: I am a game addict, so I like read the nerdy facts behind game companies and how to make games. Mario Kart Double Dash is looking really nice, but it's hardly a "racing game" in the sense of car racing games. So, it's not the best racing game. It's the best kart racing game. Gran Turismo is the series to beat in terms of racing games. Sorry to make a boring history lesson, I just think this info is kinda neat because your thread brought up some fond old memories of the NES for me. Nintendo isn't the "founder of video games". A guy named Ralph Baer is credited with having invented video games (console--Odyssey) for the home market.

As cmonkey noted, Atari popularized the home video game market. When they were tanking due to too many crappy games like ET and too many crappy game companies junking up the video game market, Nintendo took it to the next level by almost single handedly saving the home video game industry with the NES (Famicom in Japan). Nintendo did usher in the modern era of platformer games when they created Super Mario Bros and perfected the kart racer with Mario Kart for the SNES (I guess Pole Postion on the Atari was like one of the first racers). Also, Nintendo is more than 100 years old. As most game companies in Japan used to be something else (one of the biggest companies there used to be a seller of Ramen and as well all know Sony is an electronics company), Nintendo started as a playing card game company. They made Japanese playing card games. There were many video game companies in the US and Japan that came before Nintendo so they couldn't have founded the business.

Nintendo is definetly one of the major influencial game companies of all time. Only, lately they are letting their bright light flicker out. Nintendo needs to get out of making consoles and do what they have always done best, make games. Like Sega, it's their strongest area. They haven't had an awesome console since the SNES. The GBA will rule for a good while, but Sony will give them a run for their money with the PSP. Well, before I post a book let me just point you to this article if you want to read more about the begining of video games: http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/01/commentary.../column_gaming/

It's funny to note that Baer didn't get rich inventing the first home console. It's just like the guy who made Tetris. That game made billions worldwide, but due to Soviet invention laws the maker of Tetris didn't get any money for making the game. That's so sad.

KrabbyLand173

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 02:51:53 pm »
Nice info YellowBird but I always thought Nintendo had the patton on the handheld games...

Yellowbird

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 03:18:59 pm »
Patent? No. No one has a patent on handleheld games. They have the patent on Game boy's technology. Any company can make a handheld. it's just that Nintendo is the industry leader when it comes to handhelds. But, perhaps the new one from Sony will give Nintendo a good run for the money. N-Gage is an over-priced monstrosity, the Badai Wonderswan non-exisitent here, and there's really nothing lese to compete with Nintendo until Sony brings out it's handheld.  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 03:31:28 pm »
Nice informative post, Yellowbird.  :original:

I don't think PSP is going to be competing directly against GBA.  PSP will probably come out at between $200-$300.  By that time, GBA will be down to at least $75.  PSP is going to be a really heavy-duty gaming machine, while GBA is smaller, lighter, and has better battery life.  A Microsoft handheld would be pretty interesting, considering the amazing games coming out for Pocket PCs right now...  With a few slight modifications (like a better joystick/pad), Pocket PCs themselves could be considered gaming handhelds.  Microsoft needs to start convincing 3rd party companies to develop games for PPC, and they need to put out some nice 1st party ones.  Imagine Halo on a Pocket PC!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 03:32:09 pm by cmonkey »
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

KrabbyLand173

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2003, 05:14:03 pm »
Ah yes I ment to say pattent(What is patton?). Nintendo does not need anymore competition. In Super smash Bros Melee you can see a Famicon in the throphy room by selecting Japeneese Text.

super_sayian_spongebob

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2003, 07:58:33 pm »
Nope. I e-mailed Nintendo Of America, Inc. ™ earlier last month, and they said they want more competition against the Play Station, X-BOX, etc.
You can e-mail them here nintendo@noa.nintendo.com

(I forgot the exact e-mail address, so it may be wrong.)

Yellowbird

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2003, 07:59:07 pm »
Ah yes I ment to say pattent(What is patton?). Nintendo does not need anymore competition. In Super smash Bros Melee you can see a Famicon in the throphy room by selecting Japeneese Text.
In my opinion, Nintendo does need competition. Always. Look how long it took them to make a backlit handheld. And it's no coincidence that Nintendo will be making another handheld machine (even though cmonkey gave good reasons why the PSP won't be a direct comeptitor). Competition helps make better games and systems. The SNES would not have become so great if there wasn't a Genesis around to compete. And Xbox entering the industry has made Sony realize that simply being the first to do something isn't going to cut it. Even with the largest user base around, Sony has to make PS3 the cat's meow because Xbox 2 won't be a Dreamcast (the PS2's only, though sad, competition when it first came out). I have a feeling that Nintendo will pull a Sega in the console department and eventually become a software company that happens to make handhelds.

I have a famicom with 32 games--all in Japanese that I can't read. I never got that trophy in SSBM though. Back to the game, the wierd or cool thing about Double Dash is you control both the driving character and the character on the back of the kart who throws the items during the race. That should spice up the game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 08:00:36 pm by Yellowbird »

Patrick

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2003, 06:29:47 am »
In Super smash Bros Melee you can see a Famicon in the throphy room by selecting Japeneese Text.
Thanks for the SSB: M info in a MARIO THREAD. The Mario games I think aren't turning out all that well. I mean, mario party's graphics SUCK EGGS! They're horrible! But, in the recent mario golf: toadstoal tour (which is great), has GREAT GRAPHICS, zoom in on the grass! It's not a flat texture, it's each seperate blade of grass. Now, only if they had SSB:M with soul calibur two graphics.

Offline 1kenny

• Sandy
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2003, 02:23:43 pm »
Right on SSSB
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 02:24:06 pm by 1kenny »
You're Good, You're Good
--Shangaied--

SB rocks!

chuchino55

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2003, 03:47:28 pm »
I don't think that MKDD will be the best racing game ever. Maybe the best racing game ever on the GCN, but F-Zero GX is really good and it might not be able to beat that.

And BTW,
Cmonkey you have play Mario Kart but never nobody in the world has played Double Dash!!.
Lots of people have played double dash, at the E3 convention.  
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 03:52:20 pm by chuchino55 »

KrabbyLand173

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2003, 03:51:38 pm »
I don't think that MKDD will be the best racing game ever. Maybe the best racing game ever on the GCN, but F-Zero GX is really good and it might not be able to beat that.
I know it will be better than F-0 GX

chuchino55

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2003, 03:53:32 pm »
Have you ever played F-Zero GX? Or are you just judging the game from screenshots like you are with MKDD?  

KrabbyLand173

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2003, 03:56:24 pm »
Yes I have played it. MK: DD will atleast make the top 3 best racing games ever.