Author Topic: Stupid Spyware  (Read 10191 times)

Offline IZ

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spongebobcrazy.com
Stupid Spyware
« on: December 12, 2003, 04:49:07 am »
I had to clean my computer yesterday. I ran SpyBot S & D yesterday, and found 43 objects. Now I'm cleaning off the Temp files. There were 6200. What are your experiences with spy ware?

Starr2k3

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:16:01 am »
yea i no, now our dad has to wipe the whole computer, it really sucks! :angry:  :angry:  

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 06:50:07 am »
Jordan (YoMaMa) used to have Spyware...and when she got on the internet...bout 50 popups came up...it was really funny...

Patrick

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 08:52:44 am »
I hate the pop-ups that say "Stop Pop-ups now!".
Kind of ironic.

Starr2k3

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 09:32:12 am »
I hate the pop-ups that say "Stop Pop-ups now!".
Kind of ironic.
Yea lol, i see those all the time but usually i use Opera and that has pop-up blockers.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 01:09:36 pm »
Ive never heared of it.
All Time

Weekly

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 01:21:26 pm »
I've been using Adaware and Spybot for a while now, so I haven't had problems with spyware.  The Stop pop-ups now popup is probably actually Windows Messaging spam.  To get rid of it, go to file, settings, control panel, administrative tools, services. Scroll down the list until you see Messenger.  Right click on it, go to properties.  Change Startup Type to disabled.  Your problems will be fixed.
Check out my website, www.spongezone.net... oh, nevermind

13 Ghz folding for Team SpongeZone

Starr2k3

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 02:38:32 pm »
I've been using Adaware and Spybot for a while now, so I haven't had problems with spyware.  The Stop pop-ups now popup is probably actually Windows Messaging spam.  To get rid of it, go to file, settings, control panel, administrative tools, services. Scroll down the list until you see Messenger.  Right click on it, go to properties.  Change Startup Type to disabled.  Your problems will be fixed.
Yea i got Adaware 6.0 and spybot.

super_sayian_spongebob

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 02:43:47 pm »
Pop-ups = Spam. (well sorta.)

No this IS NO joke. (to Patrick)

Patrick

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 03:12:33 pm »
No this IS NO joke. (to Patrick)
I have no idea what you mean.

Offline SpongeBrain

• SpongeBob
  • YEEAHHHHHHH
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 03:23:10 pm »
me either
All Time

Weekly

mermaidman97007

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 05:14:45 pm »
Wheneve I get a pop-up...I kill it, and delete all my Internet Files manually...I think Microsoft is in on it!! When you try, and do it automatically...it never deletes them all, and some of the files they leave are spyware from search engines...which eventually leads to pop ups...I H8 popups...

Ever wonder what would happen if anyone could hack the spyware, and post it instead of the original file...can you say meltdown!!! Basically you could do a few things...like crash the whole internet, Melt down a million comps at one time, Get arrested :ph34r:

So yeah Spyware=VERY EVIL!!!!

*Points to sky*
EEEVVVIIILLLLL!!!!!!!!
*falls asleep drooling*

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • http://
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 07:59:40 pm »
Ive never heared of it.
Spyware is kinda like cookies in a weird way. When you download certain programs or go to certain sites, the programs secretly install a spyware program on your computer. Kazaa is only one of the programs that does it. So you generally get more pop-ups when you have a lot of spyware stuff on your computer.

I used adaware and it took care of the spyware pretty much.

Offline Hannahbal

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 08:02:39 pm »
Yeah, y'all should get Kazaa Lite if you don't want Spyware but want Kazaa. It works great.

My mom's computer got Spyware from some website...but I got it off pretty quick...

Message to Sean: How come you're never on AIM?

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 08:10:01 pm »
Message to Sean: How come you're never on AIM?
Well my computer is a piece of crap, and my mom is doing a lot of ebay Christmas shopping. So she has this "theory" that if i run aim the computer will crash permanantly. So she won't let me on aim. Which in actuality (sp?) she knows nothing about computers.

My computer is starting to NOT turn on which is really quite funny. Also I'll be sitting there doing something and it'll just turn off without any warning. Which is really great when your typing quite long messages. I'm basically mooching off my sis's computer right now. (Mac sucks!) But she won't let me use aim on her computer because she has herself signed in automatically. So I'm basically aim-less til December 26.

Woa. Longest post ever!

EDIT: One good thing I will say about the mac is that it has a built in pop-up blocker. But it doesn't change the fact that I hate macs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:11:20 pm by SizzlinSean »

Megan

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 08:54:03 am »
my computer probably has TONS of spyware installed. i just dont know how to get rid of it.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 10:20:40 am »
Message to everyone:  You can use Google Toolbar or Mozilla to automatically block popups

1luv5p0ng3b0b43vr, download adaware and use it to get rid of spyware.

Megan

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 12:01:55 pm »
doesnt that cost money though

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 12:05:22 pm »
Nope, regular adaware is freeware.  Spybot is freeware too.

Megan

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 12:06:09 pm »
o. yay! i go do that right now...actually, im to lazy.

Squidward

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 12:38:44 pm »
Yeah same with me, because yesterday when you think this download is safe but it's not. It said in MSIE 6 that is does not contain a safty code, but I didn't listen my mouse was circling around, so I download a nifty program to get rid of spyware programs, I HAD 103 that were bad!

Can you believe that!  :unsure:  

mermaidman97007

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 12:58:34 pm »
Message to everyone:  You can use Google Toolbar or Mozilla to automatically block popups

Yeah cmonkey they will stop pop-ups, but contain spyware themselves...

Starr2k3

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 01:50:17 pm »
I used spybot 2 days ago got tons and i did it 10 min ago and still got 15, you get soo many so fast.

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 02:21:56 pm »
Niether Google nor Mozilla has spyware.

mermaidman97007

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2003, 02:33:32 pm »
Uhhhh....when My fiancee had the Google tool bar it had like 13 peices of spyware according to Adaware
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 02:35:34 pm by mermaidman97007 »

Yellowbird

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2003, 02:42:21 pm »
You can get adware at www.lavasoft.com. They have a new version that is actually nice looking and good.

Google toolbar has some components that "track" your activities for certain enhanced features of the toolbar. The components can be turned off. They are not spyware, but perhaps use a similiar method of remembering specific actions taken by the user. Such as a cookie. Maybe that is what adware keeps finding when you do a clean with it. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 02:53:01 pm by Yellowbird »

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2003, 03:43:49 pm »
As far as I know, the only thing in the Google Toolbar that could make Adaware want to delete it is the PageRank.  It has to send the URL that you are on to Google so it can tell you the pagerank of the site.

Yellowbird

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2003, 08:50:35 pm »
As far as I know, the only thing in the Google Toolbar that could make Adaware want to delete it is the PageRank.  It has to send the URL that you are on to Google so it can tell you the pagerank of the site.
That's what I am thinking as well. The Google toolbar prompts you at some point with a alert notice stating that enabling PageRank sends information to and from your computer--the tracking aspect. It also gives you the option to turn this feature off. If you are worried or find it annoying, customize it to get rid of this feature.

The Google toolbar popup blocker is very good. As opposed to programs like NoAds where you have to click the popup to add it to the anti-popup manager, Google toolbar does it automatically. It remembers the popups so you never get that same one twice. It certainly helps for those sites you have to visit that can't get around popups. None of it is spyware to my knowledge. That would totally ruin the toolbar business for Google.  :biggrin:

There are imitation toolbars that resemble Google but that do have spyware. If you don't have something like Google toolbar, those imitators will install themselves on your IE toolbar. I had one do that some months ago. It was annoying to say the least. And it took forever to find on my computer because it had a weird name.    

Offline SizzlinSean

• Honorable
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2003, 09:16:49 pm »
But will pop-ups like the one that tells you you have a pm show up still. Can it sort pop-ups so to speak?

Yellowbird

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2003, 09:32:06 pm »
But will pop-ups like the one that tells you you have a pm show up still. Can it sort pop-ups so to speak?
It works for me. But then again, if it does block the PM notice for you all you have to do is look at the top of the forums and a link tells you if you have any new messages. So, no love lost.  :biggrin:  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 12:39:59 pm »
You can disable popup blocking for specific sites, like the Sponge Zone.  :original:  

Squidward

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 01:17:17 pm »
Niether Google nor Mozilla has spyware.
I don't think so, because I have Mozilla 1.5, and it has pop ups that download spyware with perrmission!  :blink:  

Offline cmonkey

• Administrator
  • SpongeBob
    • View Profile
    • United SpongeBob
Stupid Spyware
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 01:22:11 pm »
No, Mozilla has no pop-ups.  The websites you are visiting have pop-ups.  Mozilla even has a built in popup blocker.

Squidward

Stupid Spyware
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 01:25:07 pm »
No, Mozilla has no pop-ups.  The websites you are visiting have pop-ups.  Mozilla even has a built in popup blocker.
Yeah! it does in the prefrences section, you go to the "Privacy & Sercity" and click block pop-ups. I remember now!, thanks cmonkey.  :cool: